Topic: Digital vs Tried and true

What are your thoughts on how technology seems to be changing?  Better?  More cost with little benefits?

AllurePlumbing.com

Leak detection, drain cleaning, utility locating, conductor fault locating, and other specialties.
Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Digital vs Tried and true

Kind of like Drill Rigs.  I prefer the old method (Cable Tool) over Rotary.  I think I liked Win XP better than Win 7 and I know I liked floppy discs better than CD's other than their storage capacity.

Seems like we are just getting lazier and fatter all the time.

lol, I meant on your pump jobs.  I have noticed they are moving towards electronic equipment that seem more susceptible to lightning strikes at a higher cost.

AllurePlumbing.com

Leak detection, drain cleaning, utility locating, conductor fault locating, and other specialties.
Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Ok, I'm a little slow. 

The only things that have changed much is motors going from standard to variable speed.  I wasn't quick to jump on that one because of the cost.  I have one that Myers gave me to try out.  It works pretty darned good. 

The other thing is the pool pumps.  They are going to two speed to save electricity I guess.  This means you will need some kind of controller to switch it from low to high when needed.  I'm not sure you can make a vacuum work on the low speed.  I like the electric savings part of it, but the cost for a new unit has about tripled.  That coupled with troubleshooting these things.  I'll probably have to take a three year course on how to repair them.