Topic: Well Pump Running Too Often During Irrigation

I have a new lawn.  Since adding the sprinklers the pump goes on for 1 minute and off for 30 seconds and then on for one minute.  This continues for 30 minutes each day.  How can I adjust the two well pressure switches so that the pump stays on for the 30 minute lawn water each day instead of it switching on and off for 30 minutes?

Thanks

Re: Well Pump Running Too Often During Irrigation

AllurePlumbing.com

Leak detection, drain cleaning, utility locating, conductor fault locating, and other specialties.
Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Hi Ed,
Welcome to the forum! I split your post off into a thread of its own for you.

SpeedBump will be along and will help you out with getting a pump stop valve or, constant pressure valve.
I've got a bit of an idea of how they work and they will basically run the pump without stopping while you are using water during irrigation. I'll defer to him as the expert to explain how they work and what they do.

You have good reason to be concerned as frequent starts can shorten the life of a pump motor. Every time a motor starts there is a huge inrush of current to start the motor. This is usually in the neighborhood of 150% of the full load amperage during the start. This will cause heat to build in the windings of the motor and each successive start will add more heat. Eventually the motor windings will burn out.

A motor that doesn't start often and runs longer will last longer, than a motor that starts often.

Please share the details of your pump, like company name, model number, year and power source.

After that I can solve your problem or advice you best.

Thanks