1 (edited by fubar54324 2012-08-28 15:29:27)

Topic: Unusual toilet drainpipe

I recently had to replace a rotted-out painted steel closet flange for a toilet. I discovered the Moss Bay replacement flange and decided it would be an easy and inexpensive replacement for the old flange. When I installed the new flange onto the existing ABS closet drain, I noticed that the rim at the top of the drain is an oddball size and the inner diameter of the new flange is too wide to "cradle" the rim of the drain pipe. Is there some type of adapter available to make this work, or is there a flange of this type with a narrower inner diameter available??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Unusual toilet drainpipe

Nothing here.  What is stopping you from cutting it out?

AllurePlumbing.com

Leak detection, drain cleaning, utility locating, conductor fault locating, and other specialties.
Greensboro NC, Winston-Salem NC, High Point NC, Thomasville NC, Kernersville NC

Re: Unusual toilet drainpipe

The Moss Bay Flange works on many of the ABS and PVC flanges with the steel ring and is a great fix. But there are some oddball ones that it won't fit on. Not much you can do there except replace the closet flange. I highly recommend getting a new flange that has a stainless steel ring to ensure that you don't have to do this again...

Do you have access from below in a crawl space or basement? Do you know what size pipe you have? Is the flange on the outside or inside of the pipe?