Topic: PEX destroyed by insect: Western Conifer Pine Bug

Uponor (maker of Wirsbo Aquapex) sent us a letter stating that a weeping section of their product was pierced by the Western Conifer Pine Bug (WCPB)

They commissioned a study on this very issue in 2005.

Our house was built in 2007.  This insect is native to the western USA (we live in Oregon), but has spread to the east coast.

My intent is to make everyone aware of this vulnerability.  It comes at great expense to us: Uponor refuses to honor the warranty.

Re: PEX destroyed by insect: Western Conifer Pine Bug

Re: PEX destroyed by insect: Western Conifer Pine Bug

Hello Redwood,

Yes, it seems the Sarah L. Bates study is the only one addressing this topic.  The name of the insect is the Western Conifer *Seed* Bug.  I had called it the Western Conifer Pine Bug in error. 

I'd say the construction of our house is typical.  Hardie Board Siding, sheet rock walls, insulation, etc. I don't know what type of insulation we have, but it's the yellow fibrous stuff that comes in rolls. The pipe is Wirsbo Aquapex.  We live in a pine forest in North Central Oregon at 1500 feet elevation. The damage occurred inside an exterior wall on the second floor.

There were no insects or evidence of insects (other than the leaking pipe) in the deconstructed ceiling or walls.  Our house is by no means infested with insects, but I've yet to see a home that is 100% insect free.  The house sits atop a crawl space through which most of our plumbing runs.  Somehow I doubt any crawl space is insect-free.

Our letter from Uponor references the Bates study (remember, Uponor funded that study) and says the damage to our pipe is consistent with that caused by the Western Conifer Seed Bug.  They did not say it "was" caused by an insect nor did they say how many holes they found. 

I am fascinated by the dilemma Uponor faces over this.  They have a known (suspected?) vulnerability that they don't seem to want to make public (or rectify).  When the damage occurs, however, they have this study they can pull from their back pocket. 

If one microscopic hole from one common insect can cause so much damage, perhaps Uponor needs to rethink the product or at least their marketing areas.  They've had since 2005 to ponder this.  As an aside, I am not completely convinced that the damage was in fact caused by an insect. It just doesn't add up for me.  Unfortunately for us the section of pipe was sent to Uponor never again to be seen by us. 

Thanks so much for responding!