Topic: Well Problem

Hello,

I hope that this forum can help me. I have dealt with wells in Florida, but here in NC, haven't got a clue. I have a deep well with a submersible pump. I have no idea what size or anything. Today, I had water pressure and about 6 pm, down to almost nothing. I went and checked the well, or at least the tank and pressure gauge and switch (it's under a doublewide) and the gauge said I had about 20 lbs pressure. I went to check the pressure switch and it looks nothing like the ones I've bought in Florida. I can't even see the contacts to see if it's working or not. I have what I call "nervous ants" all over. They are little black ants of death. Now, in Florida, they will burn up a pressure switch in nothing flat. So, that was my second thing I checked. First was the breaker.  Have plenty of juice to the switch, so the breaker is not bad. I bought a new square d pressure switch, 40/60 (that's what the old merrill one said). I will change it tomorrow, if I can get to it. The tank is also under the house. Can't even tell what kind it is, but I'm assuming it has a bladder and a shrader valve, it's blue like one I bought in Florida. I just can't get to it. It's rather crammed under the underpinning. So if I needed to check the pressure, that would be a no go. It's like they built the house over the well.  My question is, I do not hear the pump running, never have. I don't even hear it cycling off and on when it was working. If it is a submersible pump, should I be able to hear it? I emailed a well company and I know it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get them to even check it. If I change the pressure switch and the water comes back on, YAY. If not, guess I will have to break down and pay the well guy. Like I said, if the pump in in the ground, how I am supposed to hear it come on? Sorry I sound like a newb. I've dealt with the above ground wells for over 30 years and I think I've got them figured out. But this, is a new one on me. A neighbor said the well is about 250 down, don't know if that's correct either. I'm praying it's the damn switch! One other thing, the idiot who put in the well, put the tank on it's side. It's been working like that for the 9 years we've been here. If it is the tank, I'm going to buy pass it and put a new one OUTSIDE where I can get to it. If it's the pump, I have no idea sad I just want my water back on. BTW, the actual well is about 40-50 feet from the house, so if it was to come on, I'd never hear it unless I was standing over the "fake" rock that's protecting it.

Re: Well Problem

It could be the switch and it could be an ant between the points keeping the juice from flowing to the pump.  Those little ants are tough little guys.

If you can reach the tank, try to roll it a little.  If it's light, it's probably ok.  If it's heavy, it's probably bad.  If you do put in a new tank, remember that the pressure switch needs to be with the tank.